Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Canadian Idol 6 - Episode 20

The final 8 do My Generation. Sebastian gets up on the judges’ table, points down at Zack and sings, “I hope you die before I get old.” Great f’ing TV or what? Nice thing about Canadian versus American Idol – the contestants get cut more slack (or take it?).

So after last night’s show I picked Sebastian as the bottom 1. It hurt to do it. I was knocked out by both Pigott brothers from the get-go and have been rooting for them ever since. My first indication that North America was playing with these guys heads (they’ve spent a most of their lives in Europe) was back in episode 6 when I wrote of Oliver’s performance of I Hear You Knockin’, “Speaking of star power, Oliver Pigott shows the first sign of weakness in the Pigott Brother’s assault on Canada. After a series of flawless performances, he has chosen tonight to do I Hear You Knockin’, an up-tempo rocker that is quite a change of pace from the ballads he’s been serenading us with since episode 1. The band kicks into it and Oliver, wearing a hood-up hoodie, embarrasses himself by playing at being sexy.”

And really, the boys playing at being what they think North America wants slowly destroyed their confidence. Watching one and then the other lose the quiet confidence and the relaxed, friendly vibe that made them so enjoyable has been painful for them and their fans.

Gavin Rossdale does a song. I don’t care that much for the guy, but his coaching seemed to be spot on and brought out the best in all the performers last night.

Jully Black gives us a look inside the Idol mansion, where the contestants stay. I want to see more and I want to see it more often.

Okay – the results:

Bottom three: Mookie, Sebastian and Mark Day. Second time for Mookie, 3rd time for Sebastian, 2nd time for Mark. Mulroney polls the judges. Zack is the only one to go on record with an opinion, and even he names no names, saying that he thinks all three are charismatic, but two of them aren’t the next Canadian Idol. If he’d polled me I would have gotten on my hobby horse and said being from Toronto or Quebec is a handicap on Canadian Idol.

And Sebastian is going home.

Hey Pigotts: get out on the road and see your country. I’ll pay to see you.

Note to the guy who commented about his hate-on for Sebastian: There was a glitch in the Blogger software and I got two copies of the comment. When I erased one prior to publishing the other, both disappeared. But yeah, I agree he has performed poorly for the past several episodes. I still say he was great in the audition and then in the top 200 and top 20 rounds we got clips of him and Oliver harmonizing with (variously) Paul, Martin, Tatiana and Mookie and everytime it took my breath away. Guess I was hoping to hear that one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment